Friday, June 11, 2010

Pictures from Old Abandoned Theme Parks

Call it the Scoobie-Doo Hall of Fame, the Ozymandius-Meets-Mickey-Mouse Hybrid, call it what you like, but I'm fascinated by what happens to old theme parks when they're shut down.

Here is an article about 8 abandoned parks. The New Orleans one wins my vote for most haunting.

Also, here's photos from the Disney World water park River Country, closed in 2001.

And here's photos from Splendid China, closed about the same time near Disney World.

I still have a hand-drawn calligraphy poster of 1 Cor. 13 from Splendid China. It's actually one of my most valued possessions!

Of course, the scientist in me thinks these are first-hand examples of what the book The World Without Us predicts (reviewed earlier here). I'd like to see how much of that book is right and how much is not given these specific "experiments."

No comments: