Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why I'm Looking Forward to the New Star Trek Movie

... It's because J.J. Abrams is involved in it. Even though some of the trailer looks, well, non-Star-Trekkish in certain ways, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because he has shown multiple times that he knows what to do with a story (the evidence: Lost, Cloverfield, Mission: Impossible III, although I haven't been able to stand more than a few minutes of Fringe ... ).

Wired magazine allowed Abrams to take over their issue and here's an interview from that issue (PG-13 for language):
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-05/mf_jjessay

This is a storyteller who seems to know what stories are for. Granted, he may mess it up entirely, but I'll wait and see.

PS: Beyond the trailers, there's a film clip from Star Trek on iTunes now that shows promise, if only because there seems to be a cool technological trick to teleporting in warp space ... I'm intrigued, and I like Simon Pegg as the new Scotty too. Not sure about the new Kirk but he's supposed to be a jerk, right?

No comments: