Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Another Reason to Like Lost

I'll just follow up yesterday's Lost-related post with another one. Lost name-drops a lot of books on the show, and in a recent interview, the show's creators were asked which of those books may be the most important. Turns out it's the books I've already read:

BE: All right, this one is a little complicated, but it has the potential to be revealing. If you had to pick one book for “Lost” fans to read to understand what’s going on, should it be “Slaughterhouse 5,” “A Wrinkle in Time,” “A Separate Reality,” the “Narnia” chronicles, or “Valis”? And I have to admit that I’m not familiar with the last one.

DL: It’s a Philip K. Dick book. Um…I think my own personal poll would align with Carlton, which would be the “Narnia” books. A, it’s a series of books that sometimes tracks the same characters but sometimes abandons those characters to track entirely different characters, and B) it’s a more epic story that builds toward an equally epic conclusion. There will be many parallels, we feel, between that universe and the “Lost” universe when all is said and done.
CC: Especially when it comes to fauns.
DL: Oh, what a big spoiler!


So not only is it Narnia in the sense of the well-known first volume, but Narnia in the sense of the whole series, up to and including The Last Battle. (It's nice to see someone appreciating that book after Neil Gaiman's taking it to task on a relatively tangential point -- have I posted about that?)

And if C.S. Lewis based Narnia on his Biblical narrative worldview of history as story ... that means Lost is loosely based on the Bible? It would imply at the very least that there is a payoff and summing-up at the end of the show, unlike other mythologies that come from the minds of California-ized worldviews (I'm looking at YOU, Chris Carter!).

See, I told you there's a reason why I love that show.

No comments: