Friday, November 30, 2007

The First Christmas Pageant Ever

Welcome to Advent, the time of waiting for the sun.

I recently heard a story about Francis of Assisi (patron saint of this blog). He wanted to illustrate the Christmas story, so he rounded up some animals, a few sheep, a cow or two, a manger, and led them into a church to make the first Christmas Pageant ever. I have to imagine the cathedral custodian was grumbling, but the saint started a vivid tradition of recreating that night long ago, as recounted in Matthew and Luke, in 4 dimensions at the front of the church. It may have been the first modern dramatic performance ever, the precursor to opera. The point of it all was to make Christmas more real, and to bring it closer to the worshipers. All to praise the tiny baby in the manger. Once again St. Francis had a very, very good idea.

Now if we can only get our choir ready so that we sound good, and not like the braying animals ... we'll have done our part! We'll work on that this weekend at rehearsal and we'll see how we do December 8. Merry Christmas a month early, or should that be, a Patient Advent to all and to all a good night.

(Good news: this year we're singing "Scots Lullaby," one of my favorites which we haven't sung since Sam's first Christmas. That song is firmly associated with Sam's first few months, and I always love to revisit it.)

3 comments:

trizbuff said...

I sure hope that we don't sound like breying animals, especially since I did a good impression of one yesterday. Oh well, maybe we'll graduate to praying animals. Either way, all will seem fine onnce this GC-MS lab is finished.

greenbeard said...

What does breying mean? Part of the challenge of this blog is deciphering the language. You would think that this guys is rather well informed. When I think of BenMc, I think of comments that are more on the level of, "Am I dating myself?"

trizbuff said...

I'm here working on my final for benmc's class, and I wish that he were here, because I need a loquacious being like him to help me with essential problems like the difference between effect and affect. I have loathed these words and their applications for years now, always confusing one, for the other. A well informed orater like BenMc would be a great resource to have at times like this.