Monday, November 5, 2007

The Red-Headed Caveman

Did you know we have sequenced some Neanderthal DNA? It turns out some Neanderthal remains in Spain were well-preserved enough to pull out some genes. One of the genes they pulled out was one of the genes primarily associated with red hair (see previous post on Red Hair about Aidan, our red-haired boy -- I think it's the same gene, or similar). So they cultured cells, expressed the gene, and found it produces pigment the same way, and therefore, it looks like some Neanderthals had fair skin and red hair. Just like my boy.

Now I can tell him, "Stop acting like a Neanderthal!" And he can say "I can't help it Dad, it's in my genes!" (Never mind that my other son is already prone to saying things like that ...)

Also, I read recently that the red-haired gene is not Irish in origin but reflects a Viking source (by way of the Irish). So Aidan's got a Viking nature and a neanderthal nature. Good thing we have so many more genes than that!

No comments: