Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Best Commencement Speech Ever?: The Film

In 2007 (is it possible I've been blogging that long?) I commented on the full text of David Foster Wallace's commencement speech at Kenyon College, so you should check that out again. A different part of the speech has been made into a film, with visuals that don't interfere with but rather amplify DFW's words. Well worth checking out the film at this link.

(In a side note, I tried to tell the fish joke at the beginning in my biochemistry class about water, in 2008 or 2009. I initially thought it didn't "work" because it didn't get a laugh, but I don't think it's intended to be a haha funny joke, come to think of it. Still, it turns out that Sam and Aidan were "visiting" the class that day and I named the fish Sam and Aidan, and Sam still remembers that. So it had a different level of value than intended. There's something appropriate about that.)



1 comment:

unkleE said...

Ben, I loved that video. The original speech had style, and the video-maker really put it together well. It is a great way to communicate. Thanks.