Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Review: The Colors of Hope

It's weird to review a book by the pastor you've heard preach for 500+ hours over the past decade and a half. So I approach The Colors of Hope by Richard Dahlstrom with the two sides of familiarity: sure, I've heard a lot of it before, but it's really cool to see people you know in a book! This book actually has more new stuff to me in it than Richard's first book did, mostly as expanded conversations with people in my church, which is an excellent direction to go in for a book (and should continue to bear fruit for future books). It's these extended conversations that really make this book shine, including one with the married couple who runs Seattle's Taproot Theater, and one with Richard's own dead father. It's a bit of a limb to go out onto, but it works, or perhaps I should say, it holds. Plus, I love the cover art. This book captures more of Richard's style than the last one, perhaps because it has more of other people in it? Lots of good paradox there.  

No comments: