Monday, December 6, 2010

Book Review: The Best of Star Trek (Graphic Novel)

You know, this wasn't half bad. Since I don't have time to read entire Star Trek novels anymore, why not read the best of Star Trek comic books? (It helps that many of the same writers write for both.) The plot of a 2- or 3-book series is similar to the plot of a TV episode or novel, and sometimes just as creative. This graphic novel was as worth the time as a TV episode would have been, so I'd have to say it's all right. The thing is, only one of the stories was able to be read by my son who's been asking me for Star Trek stories, because the others were either too self-referential or too theological, perhaps better to say anti-theological, building too much on Arthur C. Clarke's "sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic" dictum/hokum. (Is that materialist holy scripture then?) In any case, it was diverting enough. High praise indeed.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I was just checking around on Amazon, and I really wasn't losing my mind... there are TNG Starfleet Academy youth novels out there. Sana is just starting to watch a little TNG (for some reason, it's on BBC America all the time - probably the Patrick Stewart angle), but she really does prefer the simplicity of TOS and the first few movies.