Monday, August 3, 2009

Book Review: Ender's Shadow

This was a good airplane book. Laurie bought it for our trip to New Mexico (I think) and I took it along on my recent trip to Boston. Basically it retells the story of the classic Ender's Game from another perspective, and the story is retold by an author who's now more than a decade older and has some differences in the way he views the world. A few observations: No one does "ruthless" like Card does; at the same time, it's nice to have several characters who maintain their faith in Card's future world, for example, the book ends with a character quoting the Gospel of Luke; Card's stories are always dense and detailed, yet they flow and draw the reader along as well as any thriller (at least for the ones I've read -- it's possible that some of the books people like less well fall down a bit in this respect). Very enjoyable fiction, and now I'm going to pull some of Card's paperbacks off the shelf to eventually read when I'm ready for fiction again.

No comments: