Friday, January 2, 2009

A New Year and New Essays

Just some quick notes on the retrospective a blog gives to the blogger:

-- I posted 126 times last year, a little bit more than twice a week. I'll take that.

-- I read about 40 books last year. (Maybe a few more because I didn't start reviewing them here till the spring!)

-- David Brooks at the New York Times has a year-end "best long-form essays" column. Usually I find a few good reads there -- but this year I'd already found them! For instance, that Michael Lewis essay on the recent financial turmoil was his top pick.

-- The Wall Street Journal has a piece on the enduring popularity of The Man Who Was Thursday and its author, G.K. Chesterton. It's a good introduction to him, and I'm going to use it in my next biochem seminar when we read Eugenics and Other Evils.

Here's the link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123032986340736063.html

No comments: