Thursday, January 24, 2008

What is Cloverfield?

Well, it's a monster movie that I had to close my eyes in, not because I was scared (why would you think that??), but because the constant point-of-view camera-held-while-running jostling made me very sick. But when they weren't running, and I could open my eyes, it was an interesting variant on some old themes.

Many reviewers have said Cloverfield = Blair Witch Project + Godzilla. I don't think that gets to how the movie feels. My equation is different:

Cloverfield = Alien + Run Lola Run

I think that its pacing is more like Lola and its intense personal character and unseen monster are more like Alien.

So, yeah, it's a big ol' monster movie, and it's got some cleverness in it, but mostly it just comes at you fast and has an inventive "found this on tape" editing scheme. It was cool, but deep in my heart I think JJ Abrams can do better. (Maybe that's just my Lost-watching part hoping that the mysteries add up to be more, not less, than the sum of their parts!)

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I thought you knew it was a lot of hand-held running (you who get dizzy playing first-person shooters). There's actually a theater running a motion-sickness warning with the movie in Oklahoma.

And did you see the title of the new James Bond movie is out? "Quantum of Solace." No, I am not making it up.

Ben McFarland said...

"Quantum of Solace"? I think I read a paper about that just last week ...

Ben McFarland said...

... in the Journal of Irreproducible Results ...