Sunday, November 22, 2015

Book Review: The Laws of Medicine by Siddhartha Mukherjee

This short, pithy book could be the start of an admirable project, if other academics follow Mukherjee's lead. I don't see why experienced scientists can't assemble three laws specific to their disciplines. Sure, it tells you as much about the writer as about the discipline, but it's a provocative thought exercise. In a sense, my own in-press book is looking for biochemical laws. My only regret is that this book is $17 (unless you get it from the library like I did). I'm not sure it would be worth that much money, but it was worth the time to read. The laws themselves are useful, especially for those considering a career in medicine, and interesting for scientists to eavesdrop on. I won't spoil them in this review -- read it for yourself and then consider how you'd expand on it in your own "field," whatever that may be.

No comments: