Sunday, November 22, 2009

Book Review: Odd and the Frost Giants

What's better than a movie with the kids?

A book with the kids.

I read this book to Sam in the space of about 2 hours. It's a story about an impertinent 12-year-old boy in old Norway who meets three talking animals who turn out to be rather important entities. I was able to use my Norse mythology to predict who they would be. What's funny is these same characters are in The Ring so Sam has a better idea who's singing when that opera's playing. It's typical Neil Gaiman: a brisk, original story told with confident broad strokes. Great for a 7-year-old boy to hear.

Sam says (verbatim): "I really loved it! In fact, I've started reading it by myself."

Now I've got to decide: When's he ready for The Graveyard Book and Coraline? (The book, not the movie!)

No comments: