Saturday, May 17, 2008

When I Was a Baby Bird, I Thought Like a Baby Bird ...

Zebra finch babies babble, just like human babies. Then, as they grow up, they learn to sing. The simplest hypothesis for how the singing develops from bird brains is that the babbling is an immature form of adult singing, just not refined yet. But the simplest hypothesis is not always the best. Zebra finches actually have a separate network of neurons for babbling, and then they switch to a different network when it's time to "grow up" and sing like an adult.

My first thought upon hearing this one? 1 Corinthians 13: 11-12: "When I was a child, I used to talk like a child, and see things as a child does, and think like a child; but now that I have become an adult, I have finished with all childish ways. Now we see only reflections in a mirror, mere riddles, but then we shall be seeing face to face. Now I can know only imperfectly; but then I shall know just as fully as I am myself known."

Maybe the point of discipleship and transformation is to switch neural networks, to truly change the way you think, even the way you see.

No comments: